The Barton 1792 Distillery sits on the heart of bourbon country in Kentucky. The distillery is home to 196 acres of land with 29 barrel-aging warehouses and a further 22 buildings which include a still house and the all too famous Tom Moore Spring. You can experience the full world of 1972 Bourbon with one of the distillery’s complimentary tours. Although established in 1879, the name 1792 Bourbon comes from the year Kentucky became part of the United States.
The distillery produces a range of bourbons that could suit almost every taste. Here is a complete list of the 1792 range:
- 1792 Small Batch Bourbon
- 1792 Limited Edition Expression
- 1792 Sweet Wheat
- 1792 Aged Twelve Years
- 1792 High Rye
- 1792 Single Barrel
- 1792 Bottled in Bond
- 1792 Port Finish
As much as we would love to write about them all, we will stick to the 1792 Small Batch Bourbon.
1792 Small Batch Bourbon Overview
This is classified as a straight bourbon and for this, it must be produced in the U.S, be aged in new, charred, oak barrels. It must also contain at least 51% corn. The actual mash bill in unknown. Apart from being at least 51% corn, it is advertised as high rye, so we can assume it contains between 15% and 25% rye. It’s a beautiful rich honey color and this is even more apparent thanks to the stunning yet simple bottle design. It is 93.7 proof and 46.85% ABV.
The 1792 Small Batch Bourbon has gone through several renames. Before 2013, this bourbon was branded as 1792 Ridgemont Reserve and was aged for 8 years. After the renaming to 1792 Small Batch Bourbon, the period of ageing was no longer stated.
As a small batch bourbon, we are lacking the parameters of this definition. For many types of whisky, such as the straight bourbon, we know exactly what requirements it has to comply with. When it comes to a small batch, this meaning can vary from one distillery to another, so we aren’t going to consider this in our review.
1792 Small Batch on the Nose
You definitely get the smell of rye spice followed by a nice caramel with just a touch of oak, but not that you have to go searching for it. The strong aroma of ethanol leads you to think that it is stronger than it actually is. The aroma of this whisky is best described as a pleasant confusion. You are left desperate to take the first taste, but the intrigue makes you want to learn more.
1792 Small Batch on the Palate
Many of the scents follow through with that first sip, for example, the rye spice and caramel are probably the first thing you will taste. There is also a sweetness of vanilla. Similarly, it tastes stronger than you think it really is. There is something to watch out for with the 1792 Small Batch and it leaves you either loving it or hating it. It’s not like you get the spice and the sweetness blending together. It’s more like a battle between the two. But this is neither good nor bad, it’s down to the individual tastes of a person.
For the finish, the spices of the rye definitely win the battle, but the sweet vanilla and caramel still make it to the finish line.
When you consider the value for money, you get plenty of flavor. It has more character than you would expect but might be lacking the complexity of flavors that you would get from other whiskies.
How Should You Drink 1792 Small Batch?
Because of the love-hate relationship, sipping this bourbon really is going to be down to personal preference. That being said, if you add a splash of water or you want to enjoy it over ice, we found that you can enjoy it more. The great thing about the 1792 Small Batch is because it is priced well, you won’t feel bad adding it to your favorite cocktail!
Quick tip, if you don’t have a cocktail shaker, you can use a metal travel mug.
Cocktail Recipes for 1792 Small Batch
This is a great cocktail for those warmer days when you want something refreshing to quench your thirst. For the ingredients you will need:
- 2 ounces of 1792 Small Batch Bourbon
- ¾ ounce of lemon juice
- ½ ounce of Crème de Peche
- ½ ounce of Orgeat
- 1 large sprig of mint
Add all of your ingredients into a cocktail shaker (or your travel mug) and shake for a good few minutes. You will need to fine-strain into a tall glass, preferably over crushed ice, but again, if you don’t have crushed ice, you can use cubes. If you want to add a hint of garnish, use fresh mint.
Some people have taken that first sip of the 1792 Small batch Bourbon and picked up notes of banana. If this appealed to you, the spice of the rye combined with a hint of tropical flavors will be right up your alley.
- 2 ¼ ounces of 1792 Small Batch Bourbon
- ½ ounce of sweet vermouth
- ¼ ounce of banana liqueur
- 2 splashes of chocolate bitters
- 2 splashes of orange bitters
Rather than shaking this cocktail, you are better off adding the ingredients to a glass filled to about ¾ of ice. Keep stirring until the cocktail is suitably chilled and add a twist of orange peel to garnish.
When you combine the rye flavors of this bourbon with the traditional sweet flavors of this cocktail, you can start to really to appreciate who these ingredients complement each other.
- 2 ounces of 1792 Small Batch Bourbon
- 1 ounce of fresh lemon juice
- 1 ounce of simple syrup
- ½ ounce of fresh lime juice
- ½ ounce of fresh orange juice
Add all of your ingredients into your cocktail shaker and shake very well for at least 10 seconds. Strain, and double straining is recommended, over ice. Add a cherry to garnish or if you have a good amount of foam, a bit of cherry syrup.
Libbey Signature Kentucky Bourbon Trail Whiskey Glasses, Set of 4
$35.99 in stock
5 used from $27.59
- Crafted with state-of-the-art ClearFire glass composition for superior brilliance and strength, slim yet resilient side walls, and ultrathin, beadless rim with excellent chip resistance
- Named the official tasting glass of the Kentucky Bourbon Trail; unique specialized shape designed in partnership with the organization, which promotes the rich tradition and proud history of America's only native spirit
- Includes 4, 8-ounce bourbon glasses
- Made lead-free. Securely packaged in shipping box; always wash prior to use as orders fulfilled by Libbey are shipped directly from manufacturer's warehouse
- Durable, stackable, and dishwasher safe for quick, easy cleanup; to help preserve your products, please refer to the Libbey website for care and handling instructions
Advent calendar 2020-24 Day Bourbon & American Whiskey
- Advent Calendar 2020
- 3cl x 24
- Gift Packaging
- Manufactured In America
- Shipping Time To All States Approx. 2 Days
Bourbon 1792 Kobo Soy Candle From the Woodblock Collection
- Aged Oak, Sandalwood, Malted Violet. This candle is sexy!
- A handsome and mysterious blend. Lively cedar leaf uniquely paired with malted violet and precious jasmine spiked with aged oak, sandalwood and patchouli.
- 100 Hour Burn
- Complete with matches and extinguishing lid.
- Beautifully packaged.
Maker's Mark Whisky Bourbon Red Wax Drips 9 oz. On The Rocks Glass
1 used from $14.99
- Officially licensed Maker's Mark product
- High quality design
- Satisfaction guaranteed
- Great gift idea!
Kobo Candles Kobo Soy Candle, Bourbon 1792
- A handsome and mysterious blend. Lively cedar leaf is uniquely paired with malted violet and precious jasmine, spiked with aged oak, sandalwood and patchouli
- Aged oak, sandalwood, malted violet
- Each candle comes complete with an extinguishing lid and a custom-designed box of wooden matches
- 100% Pure Soy Candle. 100 hour burn time. 15 oz glass
- Made in USA
Personalized Whiskey Making Kit (102) - Create Your Own Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey - The Outlaw Kit from Skeeter's Reserve Outlaw Gear - MADE BY American Oak Barrel - (Oak, Black Hoops, 1 Liter)
- LASER ENGRAVED PERSONALIZATION - Beautifully engraved featuring your personal attributes in stunning detail | 2018 Barrel Aged Series - Design 102: Barrel Aged Bourbon | Popular gift selection for spirit enthusiasts
- MAKE YOU OWN SPIRITS - Enjoy up to 70 % savings crafting your own Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey | Enjoy great tasting spirits in weeks, not years | This American oak aging barrel easily accommodates a fifth of spirit
- PARTY IN A BOX - Kit includes everything to care for barrel & create maiden batch | Customized Handcrafted Charred Oak Aging Barrel, Bung, Spigot, Aging Stand, Skeeter's Reserve Premium Essence, Barrel Cleaning Kit, Funnels, Storing Tablets, Instruction Card
- EASY TO USE - Add included Skeeter's Reserve Premium Essence to whiskey barrel, top off with neutral rail vodka, grain alcohol or moonshine (alcohol not included) | Age to taste and enjoy | Order Skeeter's Reserve Premium Essence Reloads for future batches, 21 exciting flavors!
Whiskey Decanter Set World Etched Globe Decanter Antique Ship Glasses Bar Pour Funnel Stopper Liquor Dispenser Spirits Scotch Bourbon Vodka Rum Wine Tequila Brandy Perfect Gift 850 ml
$79.99 in stock
- Patent pending complete set with tray, glasses, glass stopper and pour funnel: World etched 28 Oz 850 ml globe decanter with a custom designed ship, mahogany finish tray with elegant golden handles to easily lift off the ground, Globe etched glasses worth $30, metal pour funnel and a glass stopper
- A work of art, a conversation starter: Each decanter is a skilled artisan’s handblown masterpiece, with a custom designed ship on the inside. Take a trip around the world, as you rotate the globe on its axis. Adds that touch of class to your living or bar décor and is guaranteed to start a conversation!
- 1 large size (28 Oz, 850 ml) decanter holds the entire bottle of whiskey, wine, alcohol and spirits 2 4 Globe etched glasses worth $30 3 Mahogany finish tray with attractive golden handles helps you to serve your decanter with glasses and lift easily 4 Tight fitting glass stopper to keep your drink fresh and flavorful. 5 pour funnel, to fill up your decanter with no spillage
- Certified safe and lead free: Decanter, glass stopper, pour funnel are all certified and meet food safety standards. Lead free (Unlike crystal)
- Makes the perfect gift: For men, for him, for her, friends, couples, parents, grandparents, dad, grandpa, husband, boyfriend, father, groomsmen, bride, groom, boss, client, bartender. Across occasions: Birthday, wedding, anniversary, engagement, retirement, housewarming, graduation, congratulations, Easter, Father’s Day, Mother’s Day, veteran's, valentine's, thanksgiving, Christmas, New year. Even for the someone who has everything. You could also gift yourself one, celebrate the fine life!
Single Barrel 1792 Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey Design Edible Image Cake Topper For Half Sheet Cake!
- Easy To Apply! Just Place On Frosted Cake!
- Licensed Business! Made In The USA!
- Tips & Tricks For Application Included!
- Products Are Kosher Certified & Contain No Animal Products Or Dairy.
- No Known Allergens, Gluten Free, Aflatoxin Free & Vegan.
Whiskey Decanter Set with 2 Old Fashioned Whisky Glasses for Liquor Scotch Bourbon or Wine - Irish Cut
- Whiskey Decanter set for Liquor Scotch Bourbon or Wine, Includes 2 DOF whisky glasses - Irish Cut
- Lead Free. Decanter capacity:750ml
Whiskey Decanter Set Globe with 2 Etched Globe Whisky Glasses - Comes With Whiskey Stones for Whiskey, Scotch, Bourbon 850ml
1 used from $46.71
- IMPRESS WITH THIS TRULY UNIQUE GIFT: This decanter will make anyone admire the artfully detailed antique ship, beautifully set in the etched globe decanter
- AN ABSOLUTE MUST DECANTER AND GLASSES: This decanter is a must have for the adventurer or the true connoisseur
- BEAUTIFUL WITH HANDCRAFTED DETAILS: Mahogany stained wood display and a unique antique ship inside with artfully crafted sails
- PERFECT GIFT: Groomsmen gift - Best man gift - Wedding gift for the groom - Graduation gift - Father's Day gift - Anniversary gift for him - Gift for whiskey lovers and for all occasions
- Decanter Dimensions: 10" H X 4- 1/2" W X 6" D - All of our glass is made from Borosilicate which is hypoallergenic, 100% lead-free and unlike a plastic straw, it is BPA-free. Glass sizes are - 850ml (28 ounces) - Whiskey glasses: 300ml (10 Ounces) SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: Love it and gift it. If your'e not 100% satisfied simply contact us for a full refund.